DATE: February 25, 2019
TO: Eau Galle Township Landowners
RE: Zoning Ordinance Update
St. Croix County is in the process of updating the zoning ordinance and we anticipate that Eau Galle Township will adopt this ordinance later this year. Now is the time for you to get informed about the changes and to be involved in the future zoning of your property.
The town board members invite you to the town hall to discuss the new ordinance, view maps, and ask questions. Below is a list of dates and times that the town board members will be available at the town hall. Also during these times you may designate what you want your parcel to be zoned (free of charge).
- Monday, March 11, 5:00-7:00 PM (Monthly Town Board meeting to follow)
- Monday, April 8, 5:00-7:00 PM (Monthly Town Board meeting to follow)
- Tuesday, April 16, 5:00-7:00 PM (Annual Town Board meeting to follow)
- The clerk has regular office hours at the town hall on Wednesdays, 2:00-4:00 PM
If you are unable to make it to any of these times and still wish to discuss the zoning of your property, contact a board member by April 15.
Any landowners that do not designate a zoning of their property by April 15, 2019, will default as follows:
- If the property is currently zoned Ag1 or Ag2, it will remain the same
- If the property is currently zoned Rural Residential (RR), it will be zoned R-2
Please note that the zoning of your property will not affect how it is taxed. The tax is based on use, not zoning. Also, it is possible for land to be rezoned in the future if it follows the town plan. However, there is an application process and fee required to rezone.
A link to the county’s website and a brief summary of the new zoning districts can be found below.
New zoning districts
The current Rural Residential (RR) zoning district will be replaced by three new zoning districts: R-1, R-2, and R-3. R-3 will not be utilized in Eau Galle Township at this time. A brief summary of the zoning districts follows:
RR (current zoning that will be replaced by R-1 and R-2)
- Current Town Plan allows density limit of 8 dwellings per 40 acres
- Current Town Plan allows minimum lot size of 2 acres
- Up to 499 animal units (AU) allowed if at least 1 acre of suitable land available for each AU; 500 or greater AU possibly allowed by Conditional Use Permit
- Density limit of 1 dwelling unit per 10 acres
- Minimum lot size of 1.5 acres
- Major subdivisions are not allowed
- Animal units (AU) allowed same as current RR district (up to 499 AU if at least 1 acre of suitable land available for each AU, and 500+ AU by Conditional Use Permit)
- Minimum lot size of 1.5 acres; no density limit
- Major subdivisions are allowed
- Limit of 200 animal units (at least 1 acre of suitable land available for each AU also applies)
Ag Districts will remain the same in regards to density and animal units allowed. Ag Entertainment and Ag Tourism uses are allowed in both Ag districts. See the complete plan on the county website for details.
- Ag-1 allows for 1 dwelling per 40 acres
- Ag-2 allows for 2 dwellings per 40 acres
Visit St. Croix County’s website to view complete proposed zoning ordinance document and zoning maps. The site also includes contact information for any resident to use to ask questions.
Links to the county’s website and the current zoning map are also available on the town website: www.townofeaugalle.org.